And now we finally have the next chapters available for purchase. If you’re just purchasing a single chapter in this series, I highly recommend you buy chapter 4. Chapter four is fully colored and fully uncensored, she worked really hard on making this one look good. If chapter four sells really well, Isya will do more uncensored/fully colored works. If you have any questions or comments you’d like to leave Isya, you can comment here and we’ll send them to her. Or you can tweet her yourself. She’s on vacation right now, but I’m sure she’d love to see some messages from her fans when she returns to Japan. I’ve decided to provide a more detailed FAQ section to this to answer some questions and respond to feedback.
Where can I buy it? Fakku
Questions regarding the price: Originally we were planning on making chapters 1-3 cheaper and making 4 more expensive due to it being fully colored/uncensored. But it was suggested that we standardize the price across all chapters instead. We will adjust chapter length and value to fit this better in the future. We are also considering doing a censored release of these chapters on DLSite at a lower price for those interested in supporting her there.
Why Fakku?: I don’t remember if I ever responded to this. If I did, it was probably on /u/ or Dynasty at some point. When we were first talking to Isya we considered other sites such as DLSite/Amazon but we ultimately chose to try Fakku for the following reasons:
- Royalties: Fakku offered a far better artist/publisher cut than she could ever get on DLSite.
- Exposure: This is something I think a lot of people don’t think about. But if we only used DLSite, she would get a fraction of the sales. Fakku has a ton of buyers that have never even heard of her, so she is able to reach a lot more potential buyers by using the site.
- Credibility: We had talked to Isya in the past, but her knowledge of the scanlation industry was non existent. You need to consider that a lot of Japanese artists don’t understand scanlation outside of foreigners stealing their work and redistributing it without their permission. We had to gain her trust, and having a proven publisher on our side made this a lot easier.
- Uncensored works: We cannot sell uncensored works on DLSite. We wanted to eventually move to doing uncensored works since that is usually one of the prime reasons to buy a western release of a doujinshi.
- Sales: This goes back to exposure, but if we didn’t sell much of her works in the first stint. We probably would have stopped there. She was skeptical from the start at how profitable something like this is. It isn’t as simple as just uploading old scans we did of hers. Everything must come directly from her computer (not scanned) and be worked on and translated recently. It’s a lot more work than I ever originally imagined.
- Final notes: Keep in mind, we are only a Publisher posting her works on Fakku. I do not work for them, I just use them as a site to distribute works on. So anything they do is beyond me. I don’t follow any of it.
How many have we sold?: When we first started with her Precure doujinshi, we kept our expectations low. With them being both censored and parody works, we figured they’d just sell a few copies. Both Isya and I were surprised when we sold 150+ of each doujinshi. A higher number than we had anticipated. Which is why for our next project, we decided doing originals would be even better.
What impact has it had?: Ever since selling her Precure works and starting to sell Rules of Zero. Isya has tossed around the idea of getting an office to work on yuri on a more full time basis. Currently she has to balance her job and drawing at the same time. With so many con deadlines for her to meet in Japan, she often ends up having to rush to get it done in time. With the help of English sales, she may be able to achieve her dream of being a full time artist.